Who's Online
1 registered (rem06), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Scott, Shoot4Fun, TDJones, azmetalman, Straight Shooter
1074 Registered Users
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5787 - 07/26/12 09:12 PM PSE Thunderbolt ?
Guy M Offline
old hand

Loc: Washington State, dry side
So... Is this a good compound bow? I know a bit about recurves, having shot the heck out of a pair of them when I was younger, and time to time now that I'm not younger.

This is a compound bow, and I don't know squat about 'em. I think I'm buying one. The seller tells me that the weight is set at 68#, it's got a bow quiver, stabilizer, fancy sight, a case and a couple of dozen arrows. And a release. Never used a release in my life, just fingers.

I didn't have any trouble pulling the bow to full draw. It's actually set up for a guy a few inches taller than me, with longer reach. Once it's drawn back a bit, it of course relaxes and is easier to hold. Kind of cute that way. I'm used to bows that just get harder and harder to pull, the farther I draw them back.

My friend used it to take three deer in the past few years, all mulies. One doe and a couple of bucks. We have a pretty decent archery season here. He's getting out of hunting for now, has a couple of young kids in the house. Wants $300 for the bow, arrows, case and all the attachments.

My archery knowledge is decades old. I haven't bought a bow since 1973 or 1974. What do you guys think?

Guy

#5789 - 07/26/12 09:21 PM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
usngunner Offline

Fingers or as my dad called them, "finger tips". Yep, that's what I use too. I learned to shoot and hunt with recurves as well.

But I do have a Herter's Black Mountain Hunter Compound I bought back in the 70's. Dad had a Bear Polar.

When I was teaching my son I went to buy him some. The guys in the shop laughed at me. So I let him use mine, and he learned on the same 35 lb recurve I used to learn.

Can't help with the PSE, no idea on the new stuff. Just had to share when I saw the post. Good luck Guy.

Vince

#5790 - 07/26/12 09:31 PM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
Guy M Offline
old hand

Well heck, you're a lot of help. You know as much about this PSE compound bow Thundermama thing as I do! grin

#5792 - 07/26/12 09:48 PM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
usngunner Offline

Yep, maybe, but us Luddites have to stick together. wink

#5793 - 07/26/12 09:55 PM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
Guy M Offline
old hand

Laughing here!

Thanks, I needed that. Long day today.

#5794 - 07/26/12 10:55 PM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
Niles Coyote Offline
old hand

Loc: S.W. Michigan
I started with a bear compound when I was 8-9 top weight was around 30-35 pounds when I turned 11 my dad got me a PSE that went up to 55lbs. At that time the v notch limb was the latest thing putting the cams just into the ends of the limbs rather than having an attachment at the end to house the cams. It was and still is a great bow. I used to work with a guy that was on a team that competed state wide and he told me PSE was used by most of the top players BUT this was 15-20 years ago...

I learned fingers as well and when I started to get serious I was talked into a release. The difference in accuracy was great. The bow is just like a precision rifle... itís all about consistency and a release just makes it that much easier to be constant.

Compound's need to be tuned so I would look around for an archery shop and have them go through it if you do make the purchase. Also, compounds have a draw length, some can be adjusted. If you can pull it back and anchor your hand somewhere on your jaw bone with the release without being too close to the draw weight let off, youíre good. You will know if youíre to close because you will be fighting the bow if not. And... If it doesnít have a peep sight you are going to want one. Before long you will be complaining about arrow cost due to hitting your own arrows laugh

As for the asking price... I canít help you much.

I would look around online and see if you can find any on the used market and compare or ask at an archery shop. I have a Matthews Outback I picked up on consignment that came with about the same items and I paid around 450-500ish, this was the year after that bow came to market and the past owner had to have the latest and greatest. I think I saved about 300 off the cost of new at the time. Sad thing is I have not used it in a few years...

#5795 - 07/27/12 03:14 AM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
Cinch Offline

addict

Loc: Wyoming
PSE does make a good bow. And like Niles said, the bow needs to be set up and tuned to fit you. One thing I can say about archery equipment is that it does NOT hold its value. Kinda like a cell phone or computer, there's always a newer lighter stronger faster coming out that everyone wants.

I have spent a lot of time shooting my new bows without sights or a release, just so I know I can do it. Just never know when you lose that release or drop your bow and break your sight. Always figured if I am still confident with my shooting capabilities, I can still hunt. Would hate to ruin a trip over a missing or broken part on my bow. Once I master the bow with fingers and no sights, I start shooting with my release and throw the sights back on.

Anyhow, the price is decent, and there's nothing wrong with a PSE. Have it adjusted to fit you and get to shooting!

#5797 - 07/27/12 04:39 AM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
300wsm Offline
enthusiast

Do you know what year it was made? Is it the new parallel limb design?

Edited by 300wsm (07/27/12 04:41 AM)

#5799 - 07/27/12 05:29 AM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
Guy M Offline
old hand

Thanks guys. There's a good bow shop here in town - it's just the place where I usually buy my guns or my loading supplies. One fellow there is terrific about archery gear. I'll hit him up today and see what he's got to say about the PSE Thunderbolt. I know he sets up a lot of bows for the local bowhunters.

#5803 - 07/27/12 07:53 AM Re: PSE Thunderbolt ? [Re: Guy M]
ridge Offline
old hand

I use to run a pse up unitil about 5 years ago ( then switched to hoyt) Price them online. There are killer deals on used bows/last years models or two years old( hoyt, mathews, bow tec). I haven't used a newer pse but when I switched to my hoyt I was shocked how smooth it was compared to my old bow( and mine is 5 years old now) I wouldn't get in a hurry and shop around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box